For Women By Women
Rosanne Mayhew, MD
Aesthetic Specialist & Gynecologist located in San Francisco Bay Area, Los Gatos, CA
Dr. Rosanne Mayhew, a preventive care physician and gynecologist located in Los Gatos, California, offers a range of conservative treatments like the InTone device, as well as, surgical solutions for women suffering from urinary and fecal incontinence. At the Women By Women practice, she has alleviated incontinence for women throughout the Silicon Valley and in the greater San Francisco Bay area.
What causes urinary incontinence?
That varies depending on the type of incontinence.
- Stress incontinence, urine loss triggered by a sneeze or other movement that puts pressure on the bladder, is caused by a weakened pelvic floor. Pelvic floor muscles often become weakened by pregnancy, childbirth, obesity and genitourinary syndrome, the loss of estrogen that accompanies menopause.
- Urge incontinence, is the result of an overactive bladder, that can be caused by: stress, bladder irritation or neurological conditions, like Parkinson’s disease.
- Overflow incontinence occurs when the bladder doesn’t empty properly and therefore leaks.
All urinary incontinence increases with age and many women suffer from multiple types.
How does Dr. Mayhew treat urinary incontinence?
Treatment depends on the cause and severity of symptoms. Among the treatments Dr. Mayhew uses are:
- MonaLisa Touch, which is a CO2 fractional laser probe that can rejuvenate vaginal tissues and alleviate dryness, laxity and urinary problems.
- InTone, which is a non-invasive device that provides electrical stimulation and biofeedback with voice-guided exercises that patients do at home to strengthen weak pelvic floor muscles. Data is recorded and reviewed by Dr. Mayhew at follow-up appointments.
- Pressary, a removable device used to support pelvic organs.
- BOTOX® Injections, can help those with neurogenic bladder or with urge incontinence.
- Bulking injections, gels that thicken the area around the urethra to control leakage.
- Urethral sling, a surgical procedure for women with severe symptoms that have not improved with less invasive treatment. This is a sling made of a synthetic mesh that’s surgically attached to lift the urethra into it’s proper position.
What causes fecal incontinence?
Damage or weakness to pelvic floor muscles or nerves can result in fecal incontinence. Damage or weakness can be caused by pelvic floor issues due to pregnancy, obesity, vaginal childbirths and genitourinary syndrome. Nerves can be damaged by medical conditions like diabetes. Also, rectal inflammation that occurs with inflammatory bowel disease is a common cause of fecal incontinence.
How does Dr. Mayhew treat fecal incontinence?
Dr. Mayhew has successfully helped reduce or eliminate fecal incontinence with a variety of approaches. These include:
- Dietary changes.
- Bulking agents, which are gels injected into the anus to bulk up tissue around the anus to narrow the opening and promote better closure of the sphincter muscles.
- InToneMV, a probe and muscle stimulation device used at home to help strengthen pelvic floor muscles. It provides voice-guided exercises and visual biofeedback that is recorded and reviewed by Dr. Mayhew during follow-up appointments.
- Vaginal rejuvention procedures.
- Vaginal hernia repair.
Words from our patients
"She is responsibly trying to do her part to make her patients more aware and healthy."
"She is always researching new treatments and dietary supplements and considers each patient as an individual. I would highly recommend her..."